Saturday, December 6, 2014

"Drama" Final

 For the Final in my Drawing for Animators class we had to create a piece that utilized a character we had created earlier in the year and put them in a story driven situation that conceived a sense of drama. Unlike our last project, however, this piece had to be rendered in color. I have to say this is probably the most challenging piece I have yet worked on, I typically like to render things out in really complex and intricate details, but for this piece I knew I wanted to try out a style that would be more appealing but also a lot more simple. Below is my process for the piece. Enjoy:)
Reference Page: This page helped me solidify a look and feel that I wanted to have in my painting.

Early studies.




Two color studies that had really flat composition but helped steer me towards the feeling of conflict that I wanted in my painting.

Another color study. With this piece the composition is finally set, I liked the drama and mood that I was getting but I felt that had I continued with this the only way to render this would have been with a realistic style.

Posing for the character.


Taking the composition and putting in a different shape language.


While the style of this worked much better I felt that this was still too complex.


Final Piece. I took the composition that I had and once more simplified the overall piece, I also changed the color scheme. The character still ended up a little bit more overdone than I would have liked but regardless I am happy with the overall piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment